Building on South Africa’s data analysis and understanding of the epidemic and lessons from the rest of Africa and other world regions, the webinar series seeks to create a space for sharing a demographic perspective on the impacts of COVID-19 with partners on the continent, considering its implications for Africa to reach a demographic dividend and achieve the SDGs.
Webinar Leads: Diego Iturralde, Stats SA and Fiona Clark, FCDO
Moderator/ Facilitator: Risenga Maluleke, Statistician-General and Head of Statistics South Africa
- Introduction to webinar series and insights from South Africa – Risenga Maluleke, Statistician-General and Head of Statistics South Africa
- Global perspectives, COVID-19 trends and its impacts on demography and the demographic dividend – José Miguel Guzman, Demographer and 2017 IUSSP Laureate
- COVID-19 in Africa. Why has the trajectory been different and what lessons can we learn from this? – Senga Sembuche, Africa CDC
- The UK’s science-led response to COVID-19 and its role in harnessing the demographic dividend – Charlotte Watts, Chief Scientific Adviser, Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office
- Mortality and excess deaths in South Africa and the Region – Tom Moultrie/Debbie Bradshaw, South African Medical Research Council (MRC)